27 March 2009

Of superheroes and real life

I finally saw Watchmen today - only 3 or so weeks after it came out. I really liked it; there were some changes and deletions from the graphic novel - some I liked, some not so much. The ending changes in means, but the end is the same (hence, the end is met by different means). It bothered me that instead of aliens, the world is united against one of the protagonists (who is deeply flawed, so he may or may not care). All in all, I really liked the sub-plot of the Silk Spectre (II) falling for the Nite Owl (II); I thought that they were the most complex (and believable) characters of the entire movie. Likewise, I felt that Rorschach was music more... human. In the graphic novel, he's almost a stereotype - a Haemon-like character in his blind devotion to what he believes is moral and right. The movie softens him somewhat, and makes his ultimate scene a little more compassionate.

All told: A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Jumbled Thoughts | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates